Nintendo President Satoru Iwata couldn’t wait until E3 to spill the beans on upcoming projects and future plans for the Wii U. Iwata announced via Nintendo Direct that the Wii U launch lineup is being backed up by top first and third-party developers in the coming year that all gamers will surely be excited for. It’s a good day to be a Wii U owner!
- Software Updates: Nintendo announced that the Wii U will have 2 software updates throughout the year. They are aimed to improve the system OS speed allowing faster load times between apps and menu’s. Miiverse is also being updated to allow players to create there own community and a filter to help search Miiverse communities at ease.
- Miiverse for Smartphones: Around spring, gamers will be able to experience Nintendo’s Miiverse on there smartphone devices.
- Wii U Virtual Console: Just like the Wii, the Wii U will have its own Virtual Console that will allow players to download NES and SNES games. All games will be fully compatible withe the GamePad, and even have support with Miiverse.
- Two Zelda Games: Eiji Aonuma, producer of The Legend of Zelda series revealed that they are working on a brand new Wii U Zelda exclusive. He also mentioned that to hold us over they are releasing an HD version of Gamecube’s Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker for the Wii U.
- Super Mario Games: Nintendo announced that they are working on a all new 3d Mario title exclusive to the Wii U which is scheduled to be playable at this year’s E3.
- New Yoshi Game: Takashi Tezuka, director of Yoshi’s Island is supervising the development of a new game with Yoshi as the main character.
- Monolith Soft new game: Creators of Xenoblade for Wii are working on a new title exclusive for the Wii U.
- More game announcements: There were a couple more games that were shown on Nintendo Direct; The Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, and an RPG collaboration of Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei franchises. Plus Satoru Iwata also confirmed that the next installment of Super Smash Bros. will be shown at E3 on the Wii U and 3ds.